EXARC has several vacancies, listed below. Let us know if you are interested in any of these openings; email us at firstname.lastname@example.org any time!
You are welcome no matter how much or little time you have, you do not commit yourself for any longer than you wish. Most of the work you can do from home, but of course we offer the chance to be in close contact with the rest of the EXARC Team.
It is nice if you have affinity with museums, but you do not need to have much more than that. As a volunteer you work in a very international environment with us.
EXARC gives you the opportunity to:
- Join a dynamic international community dedicated to experimental archaeology, open-air museums and interpetation
- Enhance your skill set or learn new skills
- Expand your cv
- Engage in an activity you enjoy or are good at (e.g. working with social media or text)
- Do an internship
- Extend your network
- Do something for society
- Have a nice way of spending your free time
- Tie in with projects from other disciplines, which in some way touch on what EXARC is doing
EXARC offers volunteers an insurance related to all activities carried out under its umbrella. You also get a reference letter when you leave.
EXARC Office Manager
EXARC is looking for an Office Manager who can take over part of the work of the Secretariat. The successful candidate will work from the EXARC office in Leiden (NL) but mainly online. Work is on average 24h per week, but is generally busier in December through May, and less busy the rest of the year.
Duties of the Office Manager will include:
- being in regular contact with the EXARC Director who helps setting and evaluating the tasks, as well as with an external project coordinator;
- working closely with the bookkeeper and treasurer and also having contact with the EXARC Chair;
- Coordinating the Social Media team together with the Social Media volunteers; and
- Coordinating with the graphic designer about the EXARC Journal and the website, as well as with the Journal editor-in-chief about their work and team.
This role offers a chance to work with a dynamic team, with many people with various nationalities and backgrounds. The OM’s tasks are divided across several people, as are the responsibilities. There is also a large team of dedicated volunteers which can be called on when needed. This role will also provide experience running an EU project.
Salary: 1,460 EUR gross per month (excl. holiday allowance) for 24 hours /week. If more projects are authored (partly by you) and accepted, the number of hours as well as the salary can increase.
- Candidates should have as many of the listed requirements as possible, but don’t let it put you off if you do not tick all boxes.
- Good knowledge of English, and mastering at least one more language.
- Organisational talent, team player, proactive
- Very good with people (empathic)
- Good with numbers and following the rules and obligations (think Dutch regulations about volunteers, EU rules concerning reporting or rules for extra funds - all can be learned from more experienced colleagues). You will be asked to set up and adapt the budget.
- Good online and written communication
- Flexible (members might need you at different times)
- Member or volunteer of EXARC or a similar cultural heritage organisation
- Background in archaeology or cultural heritage management
- Willingness and ability to relocate (close) to Leiden, the Netherlands
- You will be the linking pin around which EXARC revolves:
- Managing the office (including the logistics of the EXARC Journal and other mailings);
- Managing the members (communication with and administration of the members, including the process for new candidates and invoicing / sending reminders to existing members);
- Managing the almost 50 volunteers, of which the majority is located in Zuid Holland (NL);
- Coordinating global PR strategy (newsletters, social media, website, hard copy material); and
- Representing EXARC, eg by joining conferences and other (online) events.
Applications for this position must include a one-page letter explaining why you are the best candidate for this position, as well as your CV (of maximum three pages). Please send these to email@example.com before April 30, 2021. A commission of three people will consider your application. We expect to finalise the procedure by the end of May 2021 with the job start date of September 2021. All communication should be made in English.