This year is the 3rd Vounous International Terracotta Symposium, taking place in Vounous - Çatalköy-Girne, Cyprus. Topic is the reproduction of Early-Middle and Bronze age Vounous ceramics with the primitive creating and kilning techniques in the ateliers formed in a Cyprus Bronze Age replica Village.
The aim is to reproduce the replicas of the terracotta artefacts of Vounous smuggled to foreign countries and to publicly exhibit in Çatalköy. It is also to promote these artefacts, teach the techniques, to publicize the cultural heritage of Çatalköy by encouraging the production and to help the preservation of our cultural heritage.
Head of the Project is Rauf Ersena. The coordinator is Derman Atik. Art Consultants: Cumhur Deliceırmak, Şenol Özdevrim
- Experimental ceramic practices;
- Making Vounous ceramics with the primitive techniques;
- Preparation of Vounous clay;
- Giving a form to Vounous clay;
- Drawing the patterns;
- Kilning in wood fire kilns.
- Acknowledgement of the participants about the history of Vounous and the area of Çatalköy;
- Visiting the museums;
- Academic presentations.
- Bronze smelting
- To revitalize and promote the historical culture of Cyprus;
- To enrich and develop the interest on cultural heritage of Cyprus;
- To create opportunity for young researchers to work with experimental archaeology and Professional ceramic artists and to have experience;
- To explore reconstruction and to promote the production of antique ceramic.
Anyone, who has a set one’s heart to the cultural heritage of Cyprus and want this heritage to be protected and hand down to the next generations can attend this symposium. Everyone, who would want to produce ceramics with professional ceramic experts, can attend the workshops within certain programmes. It is free participation.
DATES: ( All kinds of work are going to start at 17:00 and will end 22:00. During the kilning process firing can take longer through the night. Therefore the hours can change.)
1 September 2019 Sunday: The last check on the symposium area and completing the work on the area. (Open)
2 September 2019 Monday: Placing the tools and materials that will be used in the symposium area. (Open)
3 September 2019 Tuesday: The artists attending the symposium will be placed in the ateliers and starting the production.
4 September 2019 Wednesday: Opening the symposium area for visit. The visitors can produce by attending the activities. (Open for visit)
5 September 2019 Thursday: The continuation of production in the ateliers and the first kilning process. (Open for visit)
6 September 2019 Friday: The continuation of workshops. ( Open for visit. Workshops for the visitors.)
7 September 2019 Saturday: Continuation of the atelier work. Visitors can attend the production.
8 September 2019 Sunday: Official Opening Ceremony (18.30-20.00)(Open for visit)
- Exhibition of the first production of artefacts;
- Visiting the ateliers in the village (Vounous Necropolis) and the introduction of the artists and visitors.
- The opening of 2 Open Air Museum replica.
- Dispensation of Vounous souvenirs to the visitors.
- Visitors watching the process of kilning in the kiln that is formed in the middle of the village.
- Sound and light performance in accordance with the historical period and atmosphere.
- Burning the Vounous fire.
9 September 2019 Monday : Workshops and kilning. (Open for visit). A safari tour on the Beşparmak Mountains with the artists.
10 September 2019 Tuesday: Continuation of the atelier work. Visitors can attend the production (Open for visit)
11 September 2019 Wednesday: Continuation of the atelier work. (Visiting Cyprus for the visitor artists)
12 September 2019 Thursday: Continuation of the atelier work. Visitors attending activities. 20:30 Presentation of Symposium Declarations (Vounous Symposium Area)(Open for visit)
13 September 2019 Friday: Atelier work and kilning.
14 September 2019 Saturday: Atelier work and preparations for exhibition (Open for visit)
15 September 2019 Sunday: Closing ceremony and the exhibition of works. Presentation of participation certificates and plaques to the attending artists (Open for visit)
16 September 2019 Monday: Visiting the exhibition in the symposium area. To see the foreign visiting artists off. CLOSING. (Open for visit)