The site of Oklahoma's oldest frontier fort, established in 1824, Fort Gibson, Oklahoma is steeped in colorful history and equally colorful scenery – blue lakes, sparkling rivers and green hillsides. The Fort Gibson Historic Site and Interpretative Center encompasses 80 acres of grounds with 29 historic buildings and numerous archeological ruins.
Fort Gibson served as a starting point for several military expeditions that explored the west and sought peace between the tribes in the region. It was occupied through most of the Indian Removal period then abandoned in 1857. The post was reactivated during the Civil War. The army stayed through the Reconstruction and Indian Wars periods, combating the problem of outlaws and squatters. In 1890, the army abandoned Fort Gibson for the last time.
Visitors to the site can see a reconstruction of the early log fort as well as original buildings from the 1840s through 1870s. Exhibits detailing the history of the fort are located in the Commissary Visitor Center on Garrison Hill. The site also hosts a number of special living history events and programs throughout the year.
Designated as a National Historic Landmark and American Treasure, the fort features a Works Progress Administration-era stockade reconstruction, as well as a handful of original buildings. The fort swirls with dramatic stories and offers living history events throughout the year. Nearby Fort Gibson National Cemetery, one of two national cemeteries in Oklahoma, honors fallen U.S. military personnel.